The Loan Specialist is responsible for providing administrative support to the assigned loan officer(s) and the Chief Credit Officer. Maintain a high degree of confidentiality and integrity. Promotes business for Kaw Valley Bank by maintaining good customer relations and referring customers to appropriate staff for new services.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assists loan officer in preparing customer, commercial, and real estate loan request in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with banks loan policy and ever-changing rules and Federal Regulations. Order any applicable credit reports, title work, future advance endorsements, appraisals, flood determinations, UCC Searches, Certificates of Good Standing, corporate documents, vin search, etc.
- Ensures new and renewed loans adhere to internal policy, guidelines, procedures, banking laws, and compliance regulations.
- Determines if loan package contains all appropriate and required documents and that loans conform to all regulatory compliance laws.
- Trains Loan Assistant team members, and assists as a team lead in supporting department compliance. Provides advice and guidance to team members engaged in loan activities to ensure loans are properly processed and that adequate controls are maintained.
- Work for Loan Officer(s) and with Loan administration to maintain loan files through all phases of the lending process and resolve documentation issues during the origination process. Prepare new and existing loan files for imaging.
- Knowledgeable in reviewing, understanding, and extrapolating the necessary information from By-Laws, Operating Agreements, Trust Agreement and Title Insurance,
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the proper documentation of various forms of Commercial and Consumer Loans; build the knowledge and confidence necessary tot portray and expertise in understanding loan terms and structures.
- Obtains/reviews collateral documents, such as life insurance assignment and cash collateral accounts. Check for delinquent Real Estate taxes. Complete all requirements to perfect Collateral Securing Loans.
- Works with all other assistants in greeting customers, notarizing documents, and/or answering any other requests that may arise with a customer, including answering phone calls and assisting the customer.
- Check general ledger loan accounts daily for errors and make corrections when necessary.
- Ensures that exceptions are collected from proper sources and forwarded to proper Department. This includes report review and follow up with Commercial Lender(s), borrowers and other related parties to obtain missing information.
- In an officer's absence, mail any required notices and return phone calls to customers. Process officer's insufficient checks either with the officer by phone or through notes given by the officer.
- Efficiently cross-train another assistant in any duties which are specific to their assigned duties (i.e. floor plans, garnishments, repos, and more).
- Loan Servicing duties include Customer Service calls, payoff requests, and escrow maintenance, construction draw requests, release of collateral on paid loans, completing loan processing worksheets and real estate closing statements.
- Review loan documents prior to loan closing to ensure all documents are present and that the documents accurately reflect the intended terms and structure of the loan along with being able to correctly explain documents to clients.
- Has the ability to close all loans with borrowers and has responsibility to ensure that loans are closed correctly and that, if applicable, all federal disclosure requirements are met.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- Performs additional duties assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of prior experience in a financial institution or loan related field is preferred.
- Basic math skills (addition, subtracting, multiplication, division)
- High level of computer skills with advanced knowledge of various computer programs, including and not limited to Microsoft word and excel, necessary tot prepare loan documents along with the ability to operate a 10-key calculator with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through both verbal and written skills with customers in English.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and to make reliable and prompt decisions using available information.
- Must demonstrate good work habits, maintain a professional appearance, and attitude, and follow policies and procedures.
- Loan assistants will be required to learn current regulations regarding loan documentation and disclosures as well as attend any in-house or outside compliance training.